Penn State Schuylkill's peer tutors are here to help with in-class learning support
Faculty members can help their students succeed by inviting a tutor to class to:
- explain how students can receive help from tutoring services
- present a study skills workshop
- serve as an embedded tutor or tech tutor
Tutor Support Roles
Peer tutors play various learning support roles both in and out of the classroom. Tutor types and their roles include:
- Individual Tutor
- This type of tutor is available upon student request.
- Students sign up voluntarily for a tutor to help with class concepts.
- Appointments are unlimited!
- As a faculty member, you can see the results of these appointments by logging into Starfish. Alerts will not be sent upon each appointment.
- Embedded Tutor
- This type of tutor has taken the course you are teaching and received an A- or better.
- These tutors can monitor attendance, distribute handouts, answer questions in chat, and more.
- These tutors will be present at every class, both in-person and via Zoom.
- Learning Assistant
- Like the Embedded Tutor, this tutor type has also taken the course you are teaching and received an A- or better.
- These tutors will only be present when needed, such as during exam review sessions or labs.
- Tech Tutor
- This tutor type has not taken your class.
- This tutor assists with class management, including:
- monitoring Zoom chats, and
- helping students fix Zoom issues.
- These tutors will not be able to answer course-related questions.
- Tutor Presenter
- This tutor is available when you are not, or when your students need help developing specific study skills.
- This tutor type presents an interactive workshop on topics including time management, test-taking anxiety, or a host of options developed by the tutoring center. This tutor type can also present a workshop on topics you specifically request.
- If you are at a conference, out sick, or unable to attend class, a Tutor Presenter is an excellent way to keep your students engaged. Don't cancel your class, reach out to the Academic Resource Center instead!
Request a tutor presenter for your class, or request a Learning Center workshop. For questions about tutor presenters or workshops, contact Paige Waddell at [email protected], or Darlene Young at [email protected].