Ten easy steps to apply for Financial Aid
Complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Required to determine eligibility for loans, grants, scholarships, and Federal Work-Study Program
- Answer "Yes" to question asking if you want to receive Federal Work Study consideration
- Use the proper FAFSA form to apply online.
- Apply early for maximum aid consideration. The recommended filing date is December 1.
- Penn State's school code is 003329.
Review Award Notification
This notification from the Office of Student Aid, issued in early February, informs you about what types of student aid you may be eligible to receive.
Complete PHEAA Grant Status Notification Letter (PA residents only)
- Provide information to complete your grant record.
- All PHEAA information is due by April 30.
- For more information or to speak with a PHEAA representative, call 800-692-7392.
Complete verification if notified by Penn State
Penn State may request copies of tax forms, W-2s, birth certificate, etc. This information is found in the LionPATH to-do list.
Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling
Complete your MPN
- Begin the process by signing in to the Student Aid website.
- Click "LOG IN TO START" button in the "MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans" section of the website using your FSA username and password.
Determine Need for a Parent (PLUS) Loan
Learn about Parent PLUS loans, including how to apply, with help from Penn State's Student Aid Office.
Begin searching for scholarships
Penn State's Student Aid Office has compiled a list of scholarships and tips for applying. Reference this site to gain important information about funding your education.