Are you an academically gifted student who wants to help others succeed? Consider becoming a peer tutor at Penn State Schuylkill!
New peer tutors receive at least 12 hours of tutor training in August before classes begin. Our program has been certified through the College Reading and Learning Association's (CRLA) international tutor certification program.
- Has completed freshman year and earned at least a 3.0 GPA
- Minimum grade of A- in the course to be tutored; completion of a more in-depth course in the same subject may be substituted for the actual course
- Interview with and approval of the tutoring coordinator
- Faculty recommendation from the instructor of the course to be tutored
- To meet scheduled appointments on time and to be prepared for each session
- To exhibit the behaviors of a model student (for example, attend classes as expected, complete assignments successfully and on time) and campus citizen
- To accept tutees and faculty members in a positive, non-judgmental way
- To maintain confidentiality about the tutoring relationship and to ensure that any information about the tutee is given only to appropriate Penn State faculty or staff
- To refer the tutee to an appropriate resource person when the tutee's needs are beyond the tutor's capability and/or scope to provide effective help