Students on campus

Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Grants are awarded based solely on financial need and have no requirement of repayment. They may come from the federal government, the state, or the University.

Scholarships are "free money" for students who meet particular criteria and there is no requirement for repayment.  Students at our campus can be reviewed for both general University and Penn State Schuylkill specific scholarships.  Scholarships will be one of three types: need based, merit based, or a combination of both factors. No application is required for academic merit based scholarships. All Schuylkill students with a 2.7+ GPA will be considered. If you wish to be considered for scholarships that have a financial need component you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Loans are low interest awards that must be repaid after students graduate or terminate their studies at the University.

Federal Work Study
Work study is awarded based upon the financial need of the student. If you are granted a work-study award it will appear on your financial aid notification or on LionPATH (if you have established an account). The Federal Work Study Program offers on-campus part-time work experience for undergraduate and graduate students demonstrating a financial need through the FAFSA. Students earn money for personal expenses; however, earnings cannot apply to semester bills.