Dr. Juyoung Song, assistant professor of criminal justice at Penn State Schuylkill, earned her bachelor's and master's degrees from the College of Law at Hanyang University in Seoul, Korea, and then obtained her doctorate degree in criminal justice from Michigan State University. Career appointments have included an assistant professor at the University of West Georgia, and an associate researcher at the Korean Institute of Criminology.
Song has presented at numerous national and international conferences. In 2017, she presented at the International Conference on Governance, Crime, and Justice Statistics Program in Lima, Peru invited by UNODC and INEGI. In 2014, she presented at the United Nations Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Programme Network in Vienna. Dr. Song presented at criminological conferences located in the United States and big data conferences internationally. She has also presented results of her research on "Big Data and Machine Learning".
She has published several articles on cyberbullying and underage prostitution, as well as juvenile delinquency in the International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, Journal of Criminal Justice, and other peer-reviewed journals. She published five books about big data analysis (in Korean) and is currently working on her latest manuscript in English.
Song’s teaching interests and experience include courses on qualitative/quantitative research methods, statistics, comparative criminal justice/criminology, and juvenile delinquency.
Grants and Awards
- 2017-18 Award for Excellence in Research, Penn State Schuylkill
- 2016-19 Reexamination of ‘Korean Bullying’ using Big Data Analysis and Cross-Comparative Research, National Research Foundation of Korea- NRF-2016S1A5A2A03925702 ($280,000)
- 2018-19 Research and Development Grant, Pennsylvania State University
- 2018 11-12 Analysis of Obesity Disparities by Region in Seoul Using Machine Learning Based Community Health Survey, Seoul Metropolitan Government ($12,000)
- 2018 9-12 Comparing Juvenile Probation System between US and South Korea, Ministry of Justice of Korea ($ 20,000)
- 2018 Comparing rural and urban Bullying behavior in the Pennsylvania Youth Survey, Undergraduate Research Endowment, Pennsylvania State University
- 2017-18 Research and Development Grant, Pennsylvania State University
- 2017 5-10 Adverse Drug Reactions by using Big Data Analysis, Ministry of Drug and Food Safety of Korea ($30,000)
- 2016-17 Research and Development Grant, Pennsylvania State University
- 2016 Student Endowment Research Grant, Pennsylvania State University
- 2015-16 Research and Development Grant, Pennsylvania State University
Big data analysis
Song, J., Song, T. M., Lee, J. (2018). Stay alert: Forecasting the risks of sexting in Korea using Social Big Data. Computer in Human Behavior 81: 294-301. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.12.035
Song, J., Song, T. M., Seo, D.-C., Jin, D.-L., & Kim, J. S. (2017). Social Big Data Analysis of Information Spread and Perceived Infection Risk During the 2015 Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Outbreak in South Korea. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 20(1), 22-29. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2016.0126
Song, J., & Song, T. M. (2016). Future Signals of Health and Welfare Policies and Issues using Social Big Data. Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, 41(4), 417-427. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.4.417
Song, J., Song, T. M., Seo, D.-C., & Jin, J. (2016). Journal of Adolescent Health. Data Mining of Web-Based Documents on Social Networking Sites That Included Suicide-Related Words Among Korean Adolescents, 59(6), 668–673 DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.07.025
Song, J. & Morash, M. (2016). “Materialistic Desires or Childhood Adversities as Explanations for Girls’ Trading Sex for Benefits” International Journal of offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 60(1) 62–81 https://doi.org/10.1177/0306624X14543769
Jang, S.& Song, J. (2015). “A “rough test” of a delinquent coping process model of general strain theory” Journal of Criminal Justice, 43(6) 419–430. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrimjus.2015.08.003
Yingling, J., Morash, M., & Song, J. (2015). “Outcomes Associated with Universal and Immigrant Group Specific Responses to Intimate Terrorism” Violence Against Women, 21(2) 206–228. DOI: 10.1177/1077801214564769
Jang, H., Song, J.*, & Kim, R. (2014). “Does the Offline Bullying Victimization Influence Online Bullying Behavior among Youths? Application of General Strain Theory” Computer in Human Behavior 31: 85-93. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2013.10.007
Juyoung Song and Taemin Song (2018). Crime Prediction Using Big Data, Bullsbook Publishing Co. Seoul, Korea
Ph.D., Criminal Justice, Michigan State University
M.A., College of Law, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
B.A., College of Law, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea