Veterans Services

Veterans Services

Veteran's Benefits 

Many Veterans of the Armed Services are eligible to receive financial assistance through the Veterans Administration. Children/dependents of veterans must complete an application for benefits to determine eligibility.  In addition, veteran students must activate veteran educational benefits by contacting the Financial Aid Office by phone 570-385-6245 or email:

Types of Benefits:

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty 

This program is for a veteran who enlisted on or after July 1, 1985 and contributed to the education fund while on active duty.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation  

 This program is for a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of  20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®    

This is a new GI Bill® for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Provisions include tuition and fees, basic housing allowance, and a stipend for books and supplies. Veterans eligible for Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 may elect Chapter 33.

Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance

This program provides education assistance for qualifying spouses and children of veterans who either died while on active duty or have a 100% disability rating due to a service connected injury. 

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve

This program is for reservists who signed at least a six year contract on or after July 1, 1985 and who have served at least 180 days of active service.

Chapter 1607- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

This is a new Department of Defense Education Benefit Program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President of Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

For additional information, refer to Penn State's Office of Veterans Programs web site at and the GI Bill® web site at

Current Students

Each month all Chapter 30 and 1606 enrolled veteran students must complete a self certification to verify their enrollment before payment will be made to you from the veterans administration. Veteran students will be able to verify enrollment for the month on the last day of the month or after. This may be done by either calling the touch tone telephone system at 877-823-2378 or by connecting to the WAVE system.