Penn State Schuylkill

Parent's Frequently Asked Questions

Parent's Frequently Asked Questions

We're considering Penn State Schuylkill as our child's college choice. Do you recommend visiting the campus before applying, and how can we arrange a visit?

Penn State Schuylkill invites you and your child to visit our campus at any point in the college process. By making an individual appointment during the week, you can take a campus tour led by our student Lion Ambassadors, and meet with an admissions counselor to discuss the admissions process. To schedule an appointment, please call our Admissions office at (570) 385-6252.

Is there a timeline for what my child can expect as a Penn State student?

  • June | New Student Academic Orientation (NSAO)
    Students and families attend
    Fall Schedules are generated
    First Year Seminar (FYS) classes are determined.
  • August | Orientation
    Student introduction to college life
    Students meet advisers, college representatives, FYS instructors, and campus staff
  • 1st ten days of the semester | Drop/Add Period
    Schedules can be changed without using late drop credits
    Schedules changes are to be done in consultation with an advisor
  • 4th week of each semester
    Initial opportunity for formal assessment of progress
    Student's attendance and progress to date are reported
  • 7th week of each semester
    Mid-term D's and F's are assigned
    Opportunity for student to discuss progress with instructors
    Decide if course should be dropped
    NOTE: Satisfactory course work does not generate a mid-term notice
  • Late Drop Deadline | Date determined per semester
    Check University Calendar
    Last chance to drop a course
    Dropping a course should be done in consultation with an adviser
  • October/November
    Schedule for Spring Semester
    Date determined by student's number of accumulated credits
  • Early December
    Spring semester tuition due
    Last day of classes
    Date determined per semester
    Withdrawal deadline
  • January of sophomore year
    Students uses eLion to formally apply for a major

When should my child submit her/his application for admissions?

We recommend that applications for first-year admission be submitted by November 30. Applications will be accepted after that and will be evaluated in a rolling fashion. Transfer admission applications should be submitted as soon as possible prior to the start of the desired semester, due to the lengthier evaluation of transfer credit process.

Will it help if a family member graduated from Penn State?

If a parent, grandparent, sibling, spouse or child is an alumni of Penn State, this will be taken into consideration.

How will Penn State notify my child of its decision regarding the application for admission?

All students will receive an official decision by mail. Students can check the status of their application at

Are admission requirements for out-of-state students different than those for in-state students?

No, all students are evaluated in the same manner.

When will my child need to "transfer" to University Park campus?

At Penn State, the process of relocating from one campus to another is called Change of Assignment, and this typically takes place after completing the first two years of full-time study toward a baccalaureate degree. Change of Assignment requests submitted prior to the completion of two years of study are only granted in extreme cases in which the student would not be able to meet the curricular requirement of the chosen major. We do use the term "transfer" to describe the process of relocating from one campus location to another.  At Penn State University, every campus location is equal.  Every credit earned at a campus is equal to credits offered at University Park, and students who begin their studies at a campus location are on equal footing with their counterparts at University Park when it comes to Entrance to Major in their junior years.

How much access will my child have to faculty?

With an average class size of just 19 students, students find it easy to keep in touch and develop strong relationships with faculty. All faculty keep office hours equal to the hours they are in the classroom. Information about the faculty member's office hours is always included in the course syllabus, and students are encouraged to take advantage of this time. In addition, email is a primary connection between students and faculty, so students are strongly encouraged to check their email accounts every day. Many assignments are posted on "Angel", a faculty/student internet coursework tool.

Can my child start and finish his/her entire education at Penn State Schuylkill?

Yes, depending on the degree program that your child chooses.  Penn State Schuylkill offers five baccalaureate degree and five associate degree programs that can be started and finished entirely at Penn State Schuylkill. However, it is typical that your child will complete the first two years of nearly all of Penn State's 160 degree programs at the Schuylkill campus and then can complete the final two years of these programs at Penn State University Park, or at a variety of other Penn State campuses.

Is help available if my child is having trouble in class?

The Academic Resource Center at Penn State Schuylkill gives students personalized access to academic support services from peer and professional tutors. As an integral part of the University's Academic Structure, the Center interacts with faculty, staff, and students to provide a range of services specifically designed to meet individual needs and goals. The Learning Center is located in the lower lever of the Ciletti Memorial Library and the phone number is 570-385-6140.

Can my child live on campus, and if so, can he/she bring a car?

The Penn State Schuylkill Nittany Apartments provide on-campus housing for 320 students. Each apartment has a fully equipped kitchen and dining area, with informal and comfortable accommodations. Nittany I features 8 two-bedroom units, and Nittany II, III, IV, and V have 12 three-bedroom units. All buildings are equipped with laundry facilities and all rooms have a wireless internet connection with a direct access to the Penn State network. The units are staffed by resident life professionals and senior resident assistants. University food service is available in addition to apartment cooking. Campus police and security services are provided twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. All students are permitted to bring a vehicle with them to the campus. Every vehicle must be registered with the Office of Police Services and designated parking areas for on and off-campus registered student vehicles are free and plentiful.

My child has a disability. Whom should we contact at Penn State Schuylkill to discuss disability issues?

Penn State is committed to providing access to a quality education for students, including those with documented disabilities. The campus disability coordinator is Melinda Anthony-Spolski.  She can be reached at 570-385-6127.

How much does it cost to attend Penn State Schuylkill?

Penn State Schuylkill offers an excellent value for a quality education with a worldwide reputation for excellence. The University establishes tuition rates and fees for all students each year in July. To calculate the most accurate tuition for your child, consult the online Tuition Calculator.

How can I find out if my child is eligible for financial aid?

To be considered for student aid, all Penn State students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web. This is the only financial aid application Penn State requires.

What is the Penn State Schuylkill Federal school code number?

This is the same code used for the entire University, and it is described on the application as Penn State University Park. Don't worry, though, this number is correct. All financial aid is processed centrally through the Office of Student Aid at the University Park campus.

If we own a house in Pennsylvania, are we eligible for PA residency?

To qualify for in-state tuition, your family needs to reside in Pennsylvania. Owning a house in Pennsylvania alone does not qualify a student for PA residency tuition. To change your child's status from out-of-state to in-state, you will need proof of residency, including PA income tax and Federal income tax forms for the most current year.

Will I have access to my child's grades?

Due to federal regulations, parents do not have access to their child's grades. Only if the student provides permission through their eLion account can grades be released to parents. Before the child completes the release, the parents will need to create a Friend's of Penn State account.

How can I notify may health insurance company that my child is a full-time student?

The simplest way is for your child to request an enrollment verification via e-Lion. A verification statement will be mailed either to your home or any address your request within 2-3 days.

What if I cannot pay my child's tuition bill by the due date?

Penn State offers a Deferred Payment Plan that allows you the convenience of splitting your tuition bill into three payments. Instructions for the Deferred Payment Plan appear on the semester bill. A $45 fee per semester is required.

How safe is the campus?

The Chief of Police Services is responsible for the Department of Safety and Security at Penn State Schuylkill. There are three full-time security officers and two part-time security officers employed with 24 hour coverage. We also provide assistance, as needed, with vehicle lockouts, jump-starts, and escorts.